Position Title: Vice President of Finance
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Finance & Accounting
Reports To: President & CEO
Employment Type: Full-Time Regular, Exempt, In-person
Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, CPA and/or CMA Preferred
Experience Required: 10+ Years
Salary Range: $100,000 - $125,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Visit SLO CAL (VSC) is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for SLO CAL. Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Are you detail oriented and organized?
Do you enjoy crunching and analyzing numbers?
Are you savvy with spreadsheets and QuickBooks reports?
Can you effectively communicate with leaders at all levels?
If you answered yes to these questions, you are a great candidate for the Vice President of Finance position at Visit SLO CAL.
Visit SLO CAL is looking for a qualified candidate with a strong finance and accounting background. This in-person role, reporting to the President & CEO, is an integral member of the executive team. The Vice President of Finance is responsible for the successful delivery of Visit SLO CAL’s financial activities while strategically managing the company's revenue versus expenses and its plan for growth. The role includes analyzing data and advising the President & CEO and top executives on ways to use the information to make strategic decisions about the organization's future. The role directs and oversees all financial and accounting functions for the organization, including meeting all relevant GAAP guidelines. Experience in the non-profit sector is desired.
- Advise the President & CEO and other key members of the executive team on financial budgeting, cash flow, accounting, financial planning, investment priorities and policy matters
- Serve as a financial advisor to the President & CEO and executive team for strategic planning purposes and effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board, committee and executive team meetings as directed by the President & CEO
- Contribute to the development and delivery of strategic goals and OKRs (objectives and key results) as well as the overall management
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the President & CEO informed of all critical issues
- Manage and process all accounting operations, including receivables, payables, payroll and benefits administration
- Prepare and file quarterly and annual payroll taxes and oversee income tax preparation completed by outside CPA firm
- Reconcile general ledger, bank and investment accounts and corporate credit cards; research and resolve discrepancies
- Successfully complete all month-end closing duties, including adjusting journal entries and reconciliation of related balance sheet accounts
- Manage and resolve all accounting-related documents, inquiries and/ or correspondence to and from team members
- Deliver timely and accurate reporting of financial information to appropriate groups, including internal parties, board of directors, government stakeholders and regulators, as well as outside agencies
- Lead and manage the budgeting process, including monitoring progress of spending against budget and offering insights to the team while partnering to resolve
- Develop and manage appropriate tracking methods for revenue and expenses
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Create ad-hoc reports and dashboards aimed at optimizing the business
- Administrate and manage the organization’s 401k and 457b plans
- Oversee and manage the organization’s investment plan
- Gather financial data for analysis and forecasting of revenue, expenses, trends and compliance
- Manage insurance for the organization, including risk management and compliance
- Research, recommend and implement systems and technologies to streamline the organization’s financial processes
- Prepare financial statements and reports for annual audit
- Coordinate and manage the annual year-end audit process, including request for proposal (RFP) process, selection of an auditor and audit facilitation and delivery
- Provide feedback on business policies and accounting practices, ensuring the organization’s accounting Policies and Procedures align with industry best practices
- Build external relationships, representing the organization particularly in banking, audit and lease negotiations
- Other duties as requested
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in senior management role as Accounting Manager, Controller, Director and/or Vice President of Finance, ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- Familiarity with QuickBooks software
- Strong budget and financial planning experience
- Proficiency in all aspects of non-profit and corporate accounting, GAAP, and financial reporting
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat
- CPA and/or CMA certifications are preferred
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
- Detail-oriented, methodical and extremely organized work style, coupled with the ability to see the big picture
- Ability to hold strict confidentiality
- Talent for tracking, multitasking and the ability to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and a tendency to thrive in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Professional, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
- Empathetic, but prioritizes the best interests of the organization
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, self-reliant and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact strategic and tactical finance, accounting and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as the ability to effectively interface with senior management, board of directors and staff
- Passion for Visit SLO CAL’s mission
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, has an organizational commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, national origin, medical condition, U.S. veteran/military status, pregnancy or reasonable accommodation.
Visit SLO CAL offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals, and provides competitive compensation, as well as the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment.