Position Title: Marketing and Brand Manager
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Marketing
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Employment Type: Full-Time Regular
Education Required: Four-Year Related Degree (or equivalent experience)
Experience Required: 5+ Years
Salary Range: $50,000-68,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Description of the Organization:
Visit SLO CAL (VSC) is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for San Luis Obispo County.” Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Are you an organized project manager who also thinks creatively?
Are you motivated, talented, driven, passionate and detail-oriented?
Can you smoothly switch gears from task to task in order to keep effective track of our projects and programs?
If so, the Marketing and Brand Manager position at Visit SLO CAL presents an exciting opportunity for you. We will all work together to increase the awareness of SLO CAL as a destination -- you are vital to achieving this success!
Here's what your day will look like:
Developing and maintaining a strong countywide brand is one of the core functions of Visit SLO CAL, and your job is to help inform and implement the strategy; to manage the voice, vision and presentation of this brand in virtually every aspect; and to track and improve progress along the way. Using your expertise in marketing planning, you will help develop and oversee the implementation of the Strategic Content Marketing Plan (SCMP) and brand marketing campaigns. But you won't be all on your own! You'll need to work closely with the marketing team, our creative agency, content production contractors, brand ambassadors, website agency and other related contractors. We work with numerous outside agencies, and your job is essential to helping to maintain these relationships and to ensure they are all working in sync. Internally, you will work with the Chief Marketing Officer, the Marketing Coordinator(s), the Communications team and interns to support our entire organization, from sales and advocacy to operations and executive management.
Who are you?
- You have strong planning skills, think creatively and can turn inspiring ideas into effective marketing.
- You anticipate needs, conjure creative solutions and have a strong interest in tourism!
- Solid organization and communication skills are essential.
- Must be a team player with an openness to feedback – we are a close-knit team that places high value on trust and continuous improvement.
Agency Coordination - Under the direction of the Chief Marketing Officer, execute the day-to-day work with brand-related agencies:
Simpleview, web agency, for content, CMS and SEO. You will work with them on:
- Development, ongoing maintenance and content performance of the consumer website
- Continuous improvement of the website’s usability, design, content and conversions
- BCF, creative agency, for planning and executing creative asset development, design work, content creation and collateral development
- Crowdriff, visual marketing platform, for UGC content creation and development
- Additional content production contractors, designers and producers necessary to execute the SCMP
Brand Marketing Management:
Work with the marketing team to develop, execute and optimize the SCMP, including:
- Content creation/production, including visual and video asset development, management, use rights, organization, promotions, etc.
- Distribution, performance tracking and reporting for content through multiple channels: website, blog, social media, email marketing, etc.
- Integrate campaigns, strategies, tactics, assets and performance measures of owned media channels with earned and paid media
- Oversee the development and implementation of brand marketing activations, including consumer and sales events, giveaways and promotions, in-market engagement, etc.
- Evaluate the digital customer experience and engagement with content across multiple channels to provide and implement strategic recommendations for improvement
In collaboration with Visit SLO CAL agencies and marketing team, manage the execution of the SLO CAL brand:
- Utilize performance insights to inform and implement creative and content optimizations in paid and owned media
- Apply consumer, market and competitor insights and information to campaign strategy, execution and continuous improvement
- Advise on all SLO CAL branded material, products and activations, including creative marketing, events, print collateral, digital communications, promotions, promotional items and merchandise, etc.
- Responsible for planning and budgetary tracking and reporting of owned media, creative development and events
- Responsible for managing the assignment of tasks to, and supervising, Marketing & Communications Interns
- Must be willing to travel occasionally for events, professional development and/or agency collaboration (approximately 15-30 days per year)
- Workload regularly requires more than 40 hours/week of work; Compensation package takes this into consideration
- Additional projects and tasks as needed
- Four-year degree in marketing or related field
- Strong project management skills, including tracking productivity, deadlines and deliverables for self and others; proactive, creative problem solving; and goal-oriented thinking
- Solid knowledge of and experience in managing social media channels, CMS, brand content and email marketing
- Basic knowledge of website and social media analytics, performance measures and KPIs
- Current knowledge of marketing concepts, strategy and best practices, including the latest trends in brand marketing, content development and delivery channels
- Tech savvy with working skills in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator, project management systems (Asana) and a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong creative skills and strategic thinking
- Experience managing agencies and/or contractors on a long-term basis with proven ability to build relationships, set clear expectations and manage accountability
- Experience managing and/or talent producing video, photography, written content and/or graphics
- Previous experience in a similar marketing and brand management role, preferably in travel, tourism or hospitality
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including in public speaking and presentations
- Detail-oriented, methodical and extremely organized work style
- Talent for tracking, multi-tasking and the ability to pivot quickly in a rapidly-changing environment
- Problem solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and a propensity to thrive in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Professional, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals. We provide competitive compensation and the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment.