Position Title: Sales Manager
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Sales
Reports To: Director of Travel Trade
Employment Type: Full-Time Regular
Education Required: 4-Year Related Degree (or equivalent experience)
Experience Required: 3+ Years
Salary Range: $50,000 - $65,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Visit SLO CAL (VSC) is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for San Luis Obispo County.” Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Do you know SLO CAL inside and out?
Are you excited to share your love of SLO CAL with everyone you meet?
Do you have outstanding experience in management, tourism and hospitality and exemplary customer service skills?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, we'd love to connect to discuss the Sales Manager position with Visit SLO CAL (VSC). This position offers an exciting opportunity for a talented sales professional to join an exceptional Travel Trade team. The Sales Manager is the day to day contact for our lodging partners and is an expert in the destination, including extensive knowledge of the local region, lodging properties, attractions, restaurants, and partners. If you can bring both strong tourism and hospitality sales and management skills and high-touch customer service, along with a desire to grow sales for our lodging community, we are interested in hearing from you!
Here's what your day will look like:
The Sales Manager is responsible for tradeshows, sales missions, FAMs, business development, corporate/leisure/meetings and conferences, group, lead and lead generation -- all in an effort to promote a fabulous vacation destination. The Sales Manager is tasked with managing the Travel Trade Department to set, meet -- and even exceed -- the goals of the department, namely our sales and marketing plans and strategies. With an incredible breadth of sales knowledge, you will work to manage the lead generation process and foster the important lodging partnership relationships. Tradeshow research, development, planning, attendance and post-show follow-through are crucial to this position. Meanwhile, the Sales Manager is responsible for working with all departments and cultivating department and organizational success.
We seek a person with experience, diligence, passion and the ability to communicate with our partners and employees. Together we are working to increase the awareness of SLO CAL as a destination; the Sales Manager is essential to our success.
Who are you?
- You are a strong manager, willing to develop relationships that deliver results.
- You are outgoing and can make key connections with partners around the county.
- You know every detail about SLO County's attractions.
- You have exemplary sales skills.
- Demonstrate and communicate a thorough knowledge of sales: sales strategies and initiatives, business development, market mix, hospitality trends, challenges and opportunities (industry and competitive) that will influence county-wide rates, occupancy and mix
- Effectively manage leads, lead generation and the reporting process with a specific focus on proactive lead generation for lodging partners
- Successfully and proactively develop and manage relationships, including outreach, with lodging partnerships
- Ensure all sales brand messaging is consistent, nurturing and enriching, growing SLO CAL market share
- Work with investors and partners to coordinate and facilitate city and countywide meetings and conferences
- Assist Director of Travel Trade in developing the sales portion of VSC’s annual business and marketing plan including sales programs and mix, tradeshows, sales missions, FAMs, business development, lead and lead generation and budget. Assist in developing specific, measurable goals based on the plan. Measure and modify the goals based upon changing conditions. Report out monthly in organizational KPI document.
- Review opportunities, research, develop, plan and attend tradeshows strategically focused on growing the number of SLO CAL room nights, specifically mid-week, off-peak, shoulder season periods with a focused emphasis on post-show follow-through.
- Assist with planning and coordination of Visit SLO CAL educational events in relation to key sales initiatives
- Work to identify potential new sales opportunities and develop recommendations and action steps to institute them
- Analyze market trends, competitive information, etc. and recommend sales department strategy changes to management based on analysis and feedback
- Utilize industry associations to build knowledge, relationships and develop sales opportunities
- Have a high understanding of SLO CAL as a destination, assets and competitive advantage or dis-advantage
- Primary markets of responsibility: SMERF and Meeting & Conferences
- Prepare and present reports
- Manage priorities consistent with Strategic Direction 2020 and beyond
- Meet and exceed sales goals with a specific focus on established KPIs
- Assist with sales funnel development for lodging partners through prospecting and lead development
- Develop valued partners relationships based on sales knowledge, principles and insights
- Successfully engage and collaborate with all departments, management, partners and organizations
- Utilize CRM to track: prospects, leads and business won or lost, assisting with uploads and follow up
- Travel willingly and independently for travel trade events, professional development and/or agency collaboration
- Create and maintain networking opportunities and partnerships throughout all levels of tourism and hospitality
- Position SLO CAL products and services to meet specific client needs
- Be proficient and utilize on a daily basis organizational tools: Work Flow/Project Management System, CRM, CMS
- Assist with technical issues as they pertain to sales related systems
- Implement and communicate sales projects and programs as required
- Ensure compliance with all standard policies and procedures
- Assist leadership team with implementation of new projects and facilitate additional responsibilities, as requested
- Remain flexible to a workload that requires 50+ hours/week of work; Compensation package takes this into consideration
- 4-Year degree in related field
- 3+ years of experience in hospitality/tourism sales, account management, event sales and event management
- Prior sales training through industry association or brand hotel
- Knowledge and experience with sales in SMERF and Meeting and Conference
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, relationship building and customer service skills
- Broad usage and understanding of sales platforms, principles and practices that include: sales funnel, negotiation, influencing ability
- Strong knowledge of local market and its assets
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills including ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and exceptional presentation skills
- Experience in planning and conducting out of market tradeshows and sales missions
- Experience in producing and delivering presentations to a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to achieve KPIs and sales targets by overcoming objections
- Ability to manage multiple projects, muliti-task and to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Tech savvy with proficiency in: CRM, CMS and Microsoft Suite, work flow program.
- Significant relationships/contacts with local, regional, national and international meeting planners and SMERF related organizations
- Detail-oriented, methodical and extremely organized work style
- Talent for being a connector for business and opportunity
- High level of problem solving and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and tendency to thrice in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Goal driven, with focus on results, outcomes, and achievements
- Professional, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
- Stress tolerance and high energy level
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals. We provide competitive compensation and the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment. We offer many premium benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, vacation time and much more.