Position Title: PR & Communications Manager
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Marketing
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Employment Type: Full-Time Regular
Education Required: Four-Year Related Degree (or equivalent experience)
Experience Required: 5+ Years
Salary Range: $50,000 - $65,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Visit SLO CAL is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for San Luis Obispo County.” Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Do you have experience working with media, pitching ideas and developing stories?
Are you a skilled communicator with a passion for SLO County?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment and leading multiple projects at once?
Are you a natural team player who puts your success on par with the success of the team?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, we'd love to talk with you about the Communications Manager position at Visit SLO CAL. We seek a talented, organized, driven, passionate, detail-oriented and collaborative person to join our team. This position is integral to our goal of increasing awareness of SLO CAL as a destination and is a vital part of our overall success.
Here's what your day will look like
You will have the great responsibility of developing and implementing proactive communications strategies, responding to in-bound media requests, anticipating communications needs and preparing for the unexpected. Anyone able to pivot around that many priorities will be a valued member of our team! You will supervise the Comminications/Film Coordinator and work with the Vice President of Marketing and others to execute these tactics. Your expected time commitment will be roughly 40-50 hours each week, outside of major events, and often includes nights and weekends, for which you will be compensated accordingly.
You will oversee all media relations, film industry relations and public communications, including production of press releases and materials, presentations, talking points and copywriting. You will develop and manage relationships with the press/media, film industry and local communications professionals – all while promoting a positive public image for Visit SLO CAL and representing the SLO CAL destination. Other duties include:
- Generating positive media coverage for Visit SLO CAL and it's communities
- Written communications supporting sales and management teams
- Partner communications
- Public speaking preparation
- Copywriting and editing collateral materials
You will become a brand guru by collaborating with staff, partners and our local destination marketing organization (DMO) partners to achieve and maintain brand consistency, coordination of messages and excellent standards in internal and external communications.
Who are you?
- You are vibrant, passionate, and self-motivated.
- You have an outstanding record of achievements in marketing and/or public relations/communications.
- You are a driven, collaborative professional who can lead by example.
Core Responsibilities: (Est. % of Time)
Agency/Contractor Management: (~10%)
- Manage day-to-day Visit SLO CAL partnerships with national PR agency, ancillary agencies and communications contractors
Press & Media Management: (~50%)
- Act as main point of contact for all media inquiries
- Speak at travel media engagements and be comfortable on air or in front of the camera
- Manage all local, national and international press relationships, with assistance from agencies
- Cultivate local press relationships, arrange for interviews or press conferences, develop and execute local Visit SLO CAL public relations plan.
- Seek out and manage in-market media and influencer visits, including planning and arranging itineraries, hosting media, follow-up and tracking (often includes nights and/or weekends)
- Attend and facilitate press events, conduct press meetings, develop & pitch story ideas, conduct follow-up, etc. (5-8 trips totaling 20-40 days of travel annually)
- Collaborate and coordinate with partners, such as local tourism businesses, DMOs, Central Coast Tourism Council (CCTC), Visit California (VCA), Brand USA, etc., for media relations and in the development and execution of the Strategic Content Marketing Plan
- Oversee PR tracking, reporting and contact records in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
Internal & External Communications Management: (35%)
- Assist the marketing team in the development and execution of the Strategic Content Marketing Plan (SCMP), incorporating the Create Once Disseminate Everywhere (CODE) approach
- Manage production of the annual SLO CAL Official Visitors Magazine, including coordinating with the publisher, local partners and staff
Oversee the production of all Visit SLO CAL public communications, including:
- Press/media communications (~40%): press releases, media kit, story ideas, talking points, etc.
- Consumer communications (~20%): Visitors Magazine, website copy, e-newsletters, blog, collateral, etc.
- Internal (local) communications (~40%): public presentations, speeches, talking points, partnership materials, newsletters, etc.
- Work with marketing team to manage visual and video assets and their use rights
Oversee Film SLO CAL key relationships and the development/execution of the countywide film relations strategy, including:
- Collaboration with the SLO International Film Festival, area permitting offices/officials, state organizations, etc.
- Development and execution of flm industry leads for filming in SLO CAL
- Tracking economic impact of film industry in SLO CAL and role of Film SLO CAL’s marketing and promotion efforts
Operational Duties: (~5%)
- Manage priorities consistent with Strategic Direction 2020
- Ensure compliance with all standard policies and procedures
- Manage Communications Department monthly expenses and financial reporting; assist with bi-annual budgeting
- Assist leadership team with implementation of new projects and facilitate additional responsibilities, as requested
- Travel willingly for marketing events, professional development and/or agency collaboration
- Remain flexible to a workload that requires 50+ hours/week of work; Compensation package takes this into consideration
- Responsible for the productivity, priorities and deliverables of the Communications Coordinator & Film Liaison (currently one position)
- Provide planning and leadership to the Marketing Department by ensuring that the appropriate structures, systems, competencies, values and measurements are developed and established in order to meet and exceed the marketing plan
- Clearly set expectations for direct report(s). Evaluate performance based upon expectations providing regular coaching and feedback
- Conduct timely performance appraisals of direct report to encourage, motivate and improve staff production and ensure consistency
- Four-Year Related Degree (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years professional experience in communications and public relations (ideally in travel, tourism or hospitality)
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, relationship building and customer service skills
- Extremely strong oral, written and public speaking/presentation communication skills
- Extensive experience pitching media and securing coverage
- Strong understanding of and skills using public communications tools and methods (including digital distribution channels, AP Style, copy editing and proofreading)
Ability to manage multiple projects, team members and agencies and resolve conflict effectively
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to multi-task and to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Tech savvy with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong relationships with local, regional, national and/or international media
- Strong knowledge of the SLO CAL destination and its assets
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Adobe InDesign
- Strategically focused and passionate about Tourism
- Strong leadership skills with an inclusive and team-oriented focus
- Professional in appearance and manner
- Self-motivated and possessing a strong work ethic
- Detail-oriented, methodical and extremely organized work style
- Talent for tracking, multi-tasking and the ability to pivot quickly in a rapidly-changing environment
- Problem solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and a tendency to thrive in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Refined, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals. We provide competitive compensation and the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment. We offer many premium benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, vacation time and much more.